Thursday, March 21, 2013

Legal Authority

Looking at the last page of the course book I found an AD that said NOLO Looking for a Lawyer, so I went to that website in order to find a lawyer. "When you want help with a serious legal problem, you don't want just any lawyer-- you want an expert in the field who can give you and your family up-to the minute advice. You need a lawyer who has the experience and knowledge to answer your questions about personal injury, wills, family law, child custody, drafting a patent application or any other specialized legal are you are concerned with. Nolo's law directory is unique because it provides and extensive profile of every lawyer. You'll learn about not only each lawyer's education, professional history, legal specialties, credentials and fees, but also about their philosophy of practicing law and how they like to work with clients" (Stim, 640).
I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly lawyers responded to me from this website. Within fifteen minutes, and mind you it was at seven at night I a few different lawyers call me right away after I sent in a description of my questions. When I went on the website, I was able to navigate through it very quickly and was actually able to choose specifically what type of lawyer I was looking for from a huge selection. This site was also very good tool to keep in mind for the actual production business I am currently starting with a partner. I was able to find out explicit details, contracts, legal information, as well as links to state websites that can assist me as well. Nolo.com is a great resource for any person that doesn't have the financial resources to get a lawyer for legal advice, you just have to be willing to do the research.
 
I hadn't quite anticipated such a quick response from so many lawyers, and I happened to be working with my production crew with one of our newest clients. The lawyer that I originally wanted to get into contact with, I checked out his profile which I have shown below:
Borghese Legal, Ltd.
Intellectual property, internet and business law firm
Firm Overview
Borghese Legal, Ltd. is a Las Vegas, Nevada law firm focused on trademarks, copyrights, internet, and transactional law. The firm provides legal services in the areas of trademark, copyright, entertainment law, business transactions, internet law, and corporate law. The firm's business transactional work includes preparing and negotiating licenses, work-for-hire agreements, and other contracts for the protection of business trade secrets and intellectual property. In addition, the firm serves as the domestic representative for foreign trademark and copyright owners.
Main Office
Main
10161 Park Run Drive
Suite 150
Las Vegas NV 89145
Phone
(702) 382-0200Fax
(702) 382-0212Websites
http://borgheselegal.com FeesFree Initial Consultation?
The firm offers a free half-hour initial consultation.
Services Offered For Fixed Fees?
Fixed price services are available for various services including trademarks, copyrights, corporations, LLC, and resident agent fees.
Hourly Rates
$280
Office InformationOffice Hours
Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Emergency After Hours
Yes
Is your firm willing to help a client with one discrete part of a case, without taking on the whole case?Yes. Handling one part of larger matter often works best for the client and the attorney.
What are your policies about dividing work within the firm to make the process most cost-effective for the client?All work is handled in the most cost-effective manner possible.
How frequently does your firm use mediation, arbitration, or collaborative law to resolve cases?Alternative dispute resolution such as mediation and arbitration are used whenever possible to resolve a case.
Does your firm provide pro bono legal services or otherwise participate in your community?Yes.
What distinguishes your law firm from others?Personalized service and the prompt return of all emails and voicemails.
What is your firm's point of view regarding clients educating themselves on legal issues?Clients should always learn about the legal issues they are involved in. Clients who know and understand the law make the best clients.
Is your firm willing to review documents prepared by clients?Yes, the firm will review and revise documents prepared by clients.
Is your firm willing to coach clients who want to represent themselves?Yes. Often it makes more sense for clients to represent themselves in simple legal matters or matters where it would cost too much to hire an attorney.
Unfortunately I was unable to get back into contact with this particular lawyer, instead, a Mr. Jeffery Whitehead set up an appointment with me and answered my questions. I was a little disappointed in his answers, I felt like he was keeping them vague to keep me past the half hour so he could charge or that he knew he wasn't going to be able to make a profit out of me so therefore didn't put in as much effort. Honestly I felt that I could gather most of the pertinent information pertaining to my questions from nolo.com and the various govenment sites that is linked to this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment